Monday, April 22, 2013

Weekend Re-Cap

I think everyone can agree that last week was entirely too much and by the time Friday rolled around I was totally drained emotionally. The events in Boston (and Texas) really made me question humanity as a whole and there came a point where I just stopped reading or listening to anything Boston related because it was too overwhelming.
 
On top of that,  I got some news about my god-brother that made me really sad. I donated my kidney to him 3 years ago this month (I was his second donor) and he had another transplant in August. Sadly, he contracted a virus from this donor (not her fault, most people have this virus but my god-brother just couldn't fight it off because he's so sick) and his kidney is no longer any good. He isn't able to get any more transplants because his body just can't seem to keep them for very long, and will start dialysis within the next few days. But, he can't start dialysis until his 102 degree fever goes down.
 
I know that people can live on dialysis and that he will be ok. He's young and he's a fighter so he's going to get through this. But I have this mental image of my grandfather going through dialysis when I was a little girl and every time I picture it, it brings tears to my eyes. I just remember my grandfather being so tired. And angry. I just don't want my god-brother to have to go through that.
 
So needless to say, I was ready for the weekend when 5 o'clock rolled around.
 
This weekend came at the perfect time, because I had more fun this weekend than I have in a long time!
 
I started it off Saturday morning by running Color Me Rad with my friend while Nelson volunteered. We all had so much fun!!!  I was able to beat my 5k time by about 5 minutes and so now I'm doing a consistent 12 minute miles which might not sound like much to runners, but for ME it's a huge deal! I have signed up for almost 1 5k per month for the rest of the year, so I'm excited to get even faster! Here are some pics of the race, if you've never done Color Me Rad I highly recommend it!!!!
 
 
Before:
 
After:
 
The back of my shirt:
Photo
 
And my friend Kari took this... how pretty??!?!
 
Andddd she also took this picture of my shoe:
Photo: #colormerad
 
After we left Color Me Rad, Nelson and I met up with some friends for Earth Day. It's festival season in Richmond, and this is honestly my favorite festival of them all! Food carts, local beer, local business tents (homemade soaps, candles, yarn, honey, etc), live music.... it's fun!
 
 
 
 
We passed out around 4:30 pm (Nelson had been up for over 48 hours at this point and I was up at 5:30 am)...... then finished off the evening with a midnight shopping trip to Walmart and pizza. Sunday I deep cleaned the apartment (I do this every week because our apartment collects so much dust) and made some chocolate banana bread (soooooo good) and we had drinks on the roof.
 
I woke up this morning and started my new routine of jogging at 6am. It was pretty hard to get out of bed, but once I was up I had so much fun jogging in the city as the run came up. It was relaxing and I feel like I have so much more energy that I usually do in the mornings, so I'm excited to continue this.
 
Alsoooooo...I got a new job! I've been talking about needing a change for almost 3 years now and I finally took the plunge! 5 years in the same office and I'm more than ready to take on more responsibility and a new environment - I start tomorrow and couldn't be more excited!!!
 
How was your weekend? Did you do anything fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all mean spirited comments to yourself... that means you anonymous!