So yeah... it's Wednesday and I've kind of dropped the ball on "Chef Tuesday's" - but I made apple butter from scratch this weekend and I just had to share this super easy recipe!
The original recipe that I used is from HERE but I tweaked it a little bit in hopes of making it healthier (less sugar!) and also a more manageable amount considering only 2 people live in our house and I don't have a ton of canning jars on hand. Also, I can't take credit for that awesome apple picture... my apple butter is currently in a non-cute tupperware bowl haha so click the photo and it will take you to the original source.
What You'll Need
- Apples - I used about 8 small granny smith apples, because that's what we had at the time.
- 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup honey (if you don't have honey, the original recipe calls for 3 cups sugar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup apple juice (or you can use water... I might use water next time because this batch came out sweeter than we wanted)
What You'll Do
- Peel the apples and slice up into small pieces (by far the most annoying and labor intensive step)
- Put all ingredients into the crock pot and stir. Cook on the lowest setting, covered, for about 7 hours
- Turn up the crock pot to high and uncover for about an hour (continually stir and keep an eye on it, so that it doesn't burn!)
THAT'S IT!!!! I seriously love my crock pot... nothing beats throwing ingredients into it and leaving it to cook on its own while you're free doing whatever you want! Do you have any good crock pot recipies? I'd love to hear!!