Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Chef Tuesdays: Homemade Chicken Taco Salad

 
I've been craving Mexican food like mad lately (ok... so when isn't this true?!) but I've also been trying to keep track of my calories. Yesterday my boyfriend sent me this recipe for healthy steak tex-mex tacos, and it got me excited to put my own spin on it. This recipe is actually pretty healthy, because when you cook at home you have control over a lot of the salt and other things that may be added when you're in a restaurant. I think the worst thing in this entire recipe is the taco shell.... the rest is just chicken, rice, and veggies!
 
Homemade Chicken Taco Salad
 
 
What you'll need:

  • 3 Frozen Chicken Breasts
  • Rice (we use long grained brown rice)
  • 1 Enchilada Sauce packet
  • 1 tbs hot sauce (we like Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce)
  • 1 can of beans (we use black, but refried beans are also good!)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • Lettuce
  • Cheese
  • Sour Cream
  • Tortilla's

  • What you'll do:

  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (if you want to make a tortilla shell, just put it in a corning wear dish and bake it for about 10 min... I'm sure pintrist has a better way, but this works for me!)
  • Boil the chicken for about 30 minutes, and then shred with a fork
  • Drain all water and then add the chicken back to the pan. Add the packet of Enchilada Sauce, 1 cup water, and tbs of hot sauce. Stir together until everything looks even.
  • Cook the rice and beans
  • Add your toppings!
  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please keep all mean spirited comments to yourself... that means you anonymous!