Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Accomplishing Goals

 
Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them.
 
Lee Haney

Sorry for the silence around here last week. I was at home with the flu.... and although I knew it was bound to happen (who hasn't been sick this year?!), it didn't make it any easier. So today I'm playing catch up at work which isn't fun at all - but I wanted to share some of my fitness goals that I accomplished this weekend!

This weekend I finished my first 10k of the year. I have been training for this race since last month and I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way of finishing. Not even the flu (which thank goodness was only a sore throat and a runny nose by Saturday). It was probably the single most physically exhausting thing that I've ever done in my whole life. And I know that sounds dramatic, but when you can't breathe and you've been laying on a couch all week..... 6 miles is a lot. Heck, 6 miles is a lot period... and thank you mother nature for also adding snow, sleet, and rain to the mix.

But I did it. And I finished in an hour and 25 minutes.

Honestly, I've never been more proud of myself. And every time I seem to push myself physically - I survive and really surprise myself. It may sound stupid, but what really helps me get through is by talking to myself and reminding myself that "This isn't going to kill you. Keep pushing through and you are going to come out stronger." And guess what....... I haven't died yet!

I've run 10k's before, but this is the hardest I've pushed myself and the fastest I've ever finished. And it's really inspired me to continue pushing and to set new goals. I learned a few things this weekend that will help with my training (the biggest is that running on a treadmill is NOT the same as running outside!) and my newest goal is to wake up every Saturday morning and run 6 miles before starting my day. I want to keep improving my time, and the next 10k that I race in I want to finish in 1 hour flat. It's a big goal.... but I can handle it!

Anddddd I had another goal that I set for myself in November - it was to fit into a pair of "skinny jeans" that I bought a size too small (on accident). Guess who fit into those bad boys this weekend?!?!

All of this is simply to say that when you set goals and work hard, you can accomplish them. And it feels really incredible when you do!

What goals do you have in your life lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all mean spirited comments to yourself... that means you anonymous!