Monday, April 29, 2013

Thankful.

 
I started a new job last Tuesday. I left my comfort zone of a case manager position in an office with familiar clients and a familiar desk and a job that I could do with my eyes closed. Five years I had sat at that desk and done the same things over and over and over. Now I am managing a group home for teenage girls.
 
When I interviewed for this position, I was excited about the possibility of something new. I was excited about the possibility of more responsibility and most of all the possibility of a job that didn't leave me feeling so..... bored. When I got the call that I had aced my interview and gotten the job, I was so excited that I almost cried right there at my desk.
 
And then I got really scared. Terrified of the unknown and the reality that I would be doing something that I had never really done before. I was going to be a supervisor. I was going to be in charge. People were going to be looking at me for direction. It was exciting, but scary.
 
As I laid in bed last night, I felt my stomach turn into a knot and I whispered to myself "what have I done?" Gone are the days of napping on my lunch break and not having to worry about anyone else's work getting done but my own. I am the boss now; I call the shots.
 
Change is scary, but as I walked out of my office tonight I realized that I can do this. This is the right path. I got the call back, because everything that I have done up to this point has prepared me for this moment. I am not the naïve girl who walked into her first group home and became a counselor over 6 years ago. I have grown, learned, and I am ready.
 
Life is all about taking chances and growing, growing, growing. I feel as if for the first time in my life, I am blossoming in my career and becoming the woman that I was always supposed to be. And for that, I am thankful for leaping without hesitation. I am thankful for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all mean spirited comments to yourself... that means you anonymous!